When it comes to the interior design of your home, flooring is an essential element, but one that many people do not give as much consideration to as the rest of the room. When it comes to selecting flooring for your kitchen and bathroom there are certain considerations that you need to take into account.
Decisions for flooring in our homes are often based on things like pattern, colour and texture but for a kitchen or bathroom it is also important to consider factors such as how easy the flooring is to clean, how slippery it will become when wet and of course how much traffic there will be on it.
It can be a good idea to choose a company like Granite Transformations, who can help you to consider all of your options when it comes to looking for new flooring.
What types of flooring are good for a bathroom or kitchen?
Flooring has come a considerable way in the last couple of years with innovations being made all of the time. This means that there are more options to choose from and for many this can make the choice much more complicated.
Both kitchens and bathrooms have a need for flooring that is easy to clean, will be okay if something is spilled on it and in the case of the kitchen, can cope with a high footfall. There are several different types of flooring that fall into this category, and they all have their pros and cons.
- Vinyl flooring is a relatively low cost option and over the last couple of years has improved significantly in quality. It can be purchased in a wide range of colours and patterns, as a full sheet to do an entire room without joins, tiles or planks. Tiles and planks fall into the luxury vinyl plank (LVP) or tile (LVT) category and are a little pricier, but the quality and style are worth the price tag.
- Laminate is another option that people like for its look and cleanability. However, this is not a waterproof option, it is simply manufactured to withstand some water.
- Solid hardwood is one of the most popular flooring choices. However whilst it looks absolutely stunning, it is not completely waterproof so not a choice to consider for a bathroom. It can work in a kitchen, but it is important to ensure that it is treated, and a good maintenance routine is followed to keep it looking great.
- Tile flooring is becoming an increasingly popular choice for both rooms and it really isn’t hard to see why. Tiles are durable, easy to clean and when sealed properly they can also be waterproof.
- Stone – Yes, you read that right, there is an option for you to have a floor that is made from quality stone, just like the most premium of kitchen worktops. Stone tiling is a premium option and can give your kitchen or bathroom the wow factor.
Making an impact
The right flooring can really enhance the design of your bathroom or kitchen, it is the thing that can bring an entire room together. Whether you opt for a contemporary LVT product that will give your room that natural modern look or an impressive ceramic floor tile that will not only look stunning but will also be incredibly practical to maintain the flooring that you choose makes a statement.
If your current flooring is looking a little dated, and this may be the case in a room with high traffic, then replacing it with something different can really give a new lease of life to your bathroom or kitchen.